Amdocs released new "research into mobile traffic, showing an almost complete shift from voice to data. based on the analysis of more than 4 million voice and data connections from more than 100,000 mobile devices at some of the busiest network locations around the world in the past twelve months.
Key findings include:
- 2013 was the busiest year to date for mobile networks. Traffic doubled with the busiest square kilometers carrying up to 100 GBytes per day
- The share of network traffic from data has grown to 98 percent – up from 90 percent in the previous 12-month period ..
- LTE (4G) improves customer experience but does not increase data traffic exponentially..
- Data traffic becomes the primary source of subscriber issues
- The Impact of LTE: Better data experience, Data dominates even more, No shift to video (we didn’t detect subscribers using mobile data in new ways. We didn’t see an increased usage high bandwidth data services (i.e video))
See "Amdocs Research: 98 Percent of Mobile Network Sessions Now Data" - here.