Sandvine OutReach provides operators with a powerful set of subscriber-friendly, device-agnostic tools to interact with subscribers to satisfy a range of use cases, including:
- Usage Information: Keep subscribers informed about remaining or consumed quota or time in order to help avoid bill shock
- Promotions: Offer new products or short-term promotions to subscribers
- Brand Awareness: Make subscribers aware of the network provider for Wi-Fi hotspots and sponsored connectivity
- Alerts: Contact subscribers infected with malicious software
- Compliance: Address regulatory notification requirements (e.g., extreme weather alerts, amber alerts, etc.)
For direct notification and interaction, the Sandvine Policy Traffic Switch (PTS) intercepts HTTP flows and:
- either injects a specially-crafted HTTP packet to create a floating in-browser overlay (this method ensures that the notification process is completed without ever inspecting or modifying the requested page)
- or provides an HTTP redirect to a captive portal
For indirect notifications (e.g., email, SMS), the Sandvine Service Delivery Engine (SDE) is integrated directly with the CSP’s short message service center (SMSC) or another messaging gateway. Policies defined in the Sandvine Policy Engine and executed in the control plane determine when such notifications are triggered.
See "Sandvine OutReach Opens a Communication Channel With Subscribers" - here.